COLOR is hiring for a Communications Director! If you are media savvy, a highly skilled communicator and have a passion for Reproductive Justice, come join our team. Read below for responsibilities and how to apply.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Communications Director is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Executive Director. The position is based in Denver, CO.
This position is responsible for developing and implementing effective communications strategies to support program growth for COLOR and COLOR Action Fund.
Candidates must have at least 3-5 years experience and must demonstrate a commitment to COLOR’s vision, mission and programs.
- Develop annual Communications Plan, track and report quarterly benchmarks.
- Create internal memos for staff, board members and partners.
- Write reports for board members, funders and partners.
- Organize and build upon COLOR’s messaging and communications documents for partners, funders and media.
- Work with key staff members, board and stakeholders on rebranding efforts and branding upkeep of COLOR and COLOR Action Fund, and any components within (e.g., LIPS, LAD, etc.).
- Work in partnership with Program Manager to guide and support the Youth of COLOR program and other internal program needs, including Mujeres de COLOR, etc.
- Strategize, plan and implement online presence for COLOR and COLOR Action Fund, including website, social media outlets, electronic newsletters, text messaging program, etc.
- Work directly with the press; including but not limited to writing press advisories and releases (in both Spanish and English), pitching stories, developing relationships with local, state and national reporters, and conducting reporter education.
- Acting as an ‘on and off’ the record source for reporters.
- Ensure that progressive Latinx and reproductive justice voices are well represented in media.
- Draft comments from the Executive Director and other staff and spokespeople.
- Write copy for social media, traditional advertising, paid communications, and questionnaires, etc.
- Draft media guides for reporters and influencers and train them on it.
- Recruit, train and deploy spokespeople for content creation with partner organizations and for media and press while ensuring message discipline.
- Maintain style guide and other key resources informing branding and external communications.
- Manage vendor relationships for graphic design, content development, printing and distribution of marketing pieces (mailers, collateral, swag) ensuring that all projects are meeting deadlines and laddering up to the overall strategy.
- Keep abreast of current events and political climate and assess events, actions, decisions and press stories for possible impact.
- Serve on or attend committee/board meetings as needed.
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers/interns/contractors assisting special projects within communications.
- Participate in organization-wide resiliency work as well as staff-board retreats.
- Other duties as assigned.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS
Some travel required (in-state and national).
Flexible work schedule when evening and weekend hours are required.
Salary range is low 70’s with a competitive benefit package.
How to Apply
Position open until filled. Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com and write Communications Director in the subject line.